Boots on the trails, canoes on the pond and kids in the field. We are wild about nature and wild about getting kids outdoors! In person and in the great outdoors, camp is on.
Quarry Hill Summer Nature Camp is an adventure filled week of natural science exploration in 329 acres of forest, prairie, and stream habitats.
own Quarry Hill bug hunt tote which includes a copy of the interactive book "Backpack Explorer: Bug Hunt," an insect net, a bug jar, and sweet honey bee treat.
2021 Camp Information
How to Register
Registration is accepted online only. Camp Registration is not accepted by phone or mail. If you require assistance with online registration, please call 507-328-3950 Mon - Fri from
9 am - 5 pm. Camps require full payment at the time of registration. A registration fee of $2.50 per camper will be added to the total camp fee.
When to Register
Member Priority Registration: March 16 – 29
Open Enrollment begins March 30
Camp brochure will be available March 5.
All campers registered before May 20 are guaranteed a camp t-shirt and will receive it on the first day of camp. Campers registered after May 20 will receive t-shirts while supplies last.
Campers can register for a wait list at no charge. Campers registered for the wait list will be contacted via email and phone in the order their registrations were received with registration instructions. Please provide an email address you frequently check so you can be reached if an opening becomes available.
Campers are encouraged to register for wait lists in any sessions they are able to attend.
- A full refund (less a $10 processing fee/per camper) will be given for registered campers if a replacement is available from a waiting list and Quarry Hill is notified at least 10 days prior to the start date of the registered camp session.
- Without a replacement, a 75% refund will be given if the Nature Center is notified by May 1.
- Campers withdrawing before the start of camp due to a medical emergency or a Covid exposure are encouraged to re-schedule in a session with availability. If unable to reschedule, camp fees (less a $10 processing fee/per camper) will be refunded.
- If Quarry Hill cancels a camp in session due to Covid exposure, a prorated refund or option to donate remaining camp fees will be offered to campers.
- Campers requesting a session change must call the Nature Center Office. Requests notified by May 1 will incur a $10 fee per change/per camper. Session change requests will only be considered if they are made 10 or more days before the start of your registered session.
- Friends of Quarry Hill Nature Center is committed to serving campers from all economic backgrounds. Scholarships are available for summer nature camp.
Scholarship terms: Families who qualify for the free/reduced school lunch program are eligible. A non-refundable fee of $20 is required to attend any camp with a regular fee of $105 or less (or ½ of the listed fee for camps over $105). Limit one scholarship per camper/per summer.
- Please contact Quarry Hill Nature Center to apply for a scholarship. (507) 328-3950.
Yes! The animals and the interactive elements of our Exploration Hall are an integral part of the Quarry Hill camp experience. During camp hours, the Exploration Hall will be closed to the public so that campers can safely spend time exploring, discovering and learning.
What do I need to know before registering my special needs camper?
We are happy to make reasonable accommodations for special needs. Parents and guardians with questions regarding the ability of camp staff to meet a child’s needs should contact the camp director before registering for camp.
Campers who require an aide in their school setting must be accompanied by an aide at camp. It is the responsibility of the camper’s family to provide this aide.
Campers requiring supervision or aide beyond the Quarry Hill camp to staff ratio may need to provide a personal aide at their own expense.
Any aide that accompanies a camper must remain the same throughout the camp session.
Due to group size restrictions, the Quarry Hill office needs to be made aware of any camper that will be accompanied by an aide prior to registration to ensure the group enrollment is within guidelines.
Can I request to be in the same camp group as my friend?
Campers may request one other camper as a ‘buddy’. Both campers must request each other to ensure placement in the same camp group.
Who will the camp counselors be?
Quarry Hill camps are led by professional teachers and naturalists. All Quarry Hill staff are trained in first aid and Covid safety protocols.
Each camp group is led by an adult staff member and assisted by a high school student.
High school assistants are students that have applied and been accepted to complete a high school independent study course requiring 40 hours assisting camp leaders.
Will campers need to wear masks?
Current guidelines require masks during youth programming for children over age 5. Campers and staff will wear facemasks at all times indoors and outdoors when 6 ft distancing is not possible. Camp will be designed so that campers have opportunities for mask breaks and activities will be designed so that some distancing can occur.
For example, campers actively biking will not be required to mask.
As guidance changes, we will adjust our requirements and communicate with camp families.
Safety is a priority at camp. All staff have first aid training and are trained in safety protocol for camp activities.
Friend’s of Quarry Hill Nature Center will adhere to the Stay Safe MN/MDH and American Camp Association guidance and have adopted the following practices to reduce the spread of Covid-19:
- Small group size, low camper to staff ratio. Staff & volunteers will stay with the same campers for the duration of the session.
- Individual camp groups will coordinate to use separate space and conduct separate activities
- Separate outdoor drop off and pick up locations.
- Daily health screening.
- Whenever possible, activities will be held outdoors. Separate indoor spaces are designated for each group.
- The Nature Center will be accessible to registered campers and staff only.
- Good hand hygiene will be adhered to.
- Strict cleaning & sanitizing protocol for facilities, equipment and supplies will be adhered to.
- Masks will be required indoors and during any outdoor activities where distancing of 6 ft or more cannot be maintained.
- Protocol for individual camp activities such as rock climbing, canoeing, cave exploration and any camps that require specialized equipment have been developed.
- Prior to camp, families will receive an email with details for their camp session and any updated guidelines.
How big will my campers group size be?
Low camp to staff ratio is part of the Quarry Hill camp experience. Groups consist of 12 or less campers and are led by a staff member and a high school independent study student.
What if it rains?
If there is no threat of severe weather, we will continue outdoor activities.
In the event if inclement weather that prevents outdoor activity, camps will move indoors for alternate activities.
I still have questions, what do I do?
We are available to answer your questions! Call us at the Nature Center office M - F from
9 am - 5 pm: 507-328-3950 or email us at email@example.com.