Sundays at Quarry Hill are informal, interactive, naturalist-led programs held most Sundays, year round. Different topics weekly mean you can participate often! Nature provides ever-changing opportunities for discovery.
- Programs start at 1:30 p.m. and last about an hour.
- Cost is $4/person, free for Quarry Hill Nature Center members.
- Visitors of all ages are welcome. Children 15 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- Registration and payment are required in advance for all programs. Call 507-328-3950.
- Participants are required to follow current COVID-19 guidelines at the Nature Center.
- See Sundays at Quarry Hill schedule.
Bird Banding Program
Flock to Quarry Hill and experience birds up-close while taking part in the Nature Center's bird banding program. Learn why birds are banded and how bird banding helps with conservation. Then get up-close when you learn how to safely trap, handle and release wild birds! The data gathered from these birds will be submitted to the USGS Bird Banding Laboratory.
Cave Tour and History Hike
Step back in time when you step into the Quarry Hill Cave! Quarry Hill Park was once part of the Rochester State Hospital grounds and there remains some interesting historic features from a century of agriculture, quarry operations and more. Learn about some of these historic features and tour the sandstone storage cave, carved in 1882.
Dig into the past to discover what fossil fortunes are hiding in the rocks at Quarry Hill Park! A Quarry Hill Naturalist will lead you on the 1.5 mile round trip hike, stopping at the
limestone rock quarry for fossil hunting.