- Students and adults should dress for the weather and activity. Students will be walking about ½ mile outside and will need appropriate clothing. Students will also be walking up and down several flights of stairs- appropriate footwear is needed.
- If 2 classes are coming together, please divide the students into 3 equal groups. If one class is coming, please divide the students into 2 equal groups. It is very helpful to have an adult with each group.
- A Teacher may be asked to assist students in the conference room during the indoor station rotation.
Track That Trash
|Title||Track That Trash|
|Length||1 hr. 30 minutes|
Preparing for this Class
This class is held at the Olmsted County Waste-to-Energy plant and Recycling Center. Your bus will go directly to the Olmsted County Waste-to-Energy plant which is located north of Campus View Road S.E. (County 9). Each group of students will cycle through three 25 minute activities:
- A tour of the Waste-to-Energy facility where they will follow the route garbage takes through the facility observing energy transformations.
- A tour of the Recycling Center where they will learn how various materials are recycled and the importance of recycling.
- Time at 12 Learning Stations in the conference room where what the proper disposal of all our waste entails.
Correlation to MN Science Standards
- Identify renewable and non-renewable energy and material resources that are found in Minnesota and describe how they are used. (18.104.22.168.1)
- Give examples of how mineral and energy resources are obtained and processed and how that processing modifies their properties to make them more useful. (22.214.171.124.2.)
- Compare the impact of individual decisions on natural systems. For example choosing paper or plastic bags impacts landfills as well as ocean life cycles. (126.96.36.199.3)
- Recognize that there is no perfect design and that new technologies have consequences that may increase some risks and decrease others. (188.8.131.52.2)
- Describe the trade-offs in using manufactured products in terms of features, performance, durability and cost (184.108.40.206.3)