Keen eyesight, highly sensitive hearing, speed, silent flight, and crushing talons are a few of the characteristics that make birds of prey so fascinating. Quarry Hill is currently home to a Saw whet Owl. We have also housed an Eastern Screech Owl who recently passed away. Read her story here.
Did you know?
- Raptor means 'to seize and carry'.
- Raptors can be diurnal, day flyers, or nocturnal, night flyers, like our saw-whet owl.
- Although the Saw whet owl lives at Quarry Hill year round, we don't own the bird. We hold a Federal Migratory Bird Special Purpose Possession Permit and, in this capacity, are able to use raptors for educational purposes.
- Pick up a raptor ID guide at the front desk and try your luck outdoors identifying one of these soaring birds.
- Visit the University of MN Raptor Center. Tours of The Raptor Center on the St. Paul Campus of the University of Minnesota are conducted most weekends. Fees apply.
- Dissect an owl pellet! We sell them at the front desk.